Determined to Know Him

I have been serving the Lord now for over 25 years. Hallelujah! I remember as a new believer, I had a strong desire to just know the Lord. I struggled with this for years, as it seemed like the believers around me knew Him better than I did.

Through the years, I came upon Philippians 3:10 in the Amplified Bible. It reads, "[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [ which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]." When I first read this, I had a "eureka" in my spirit; an epiphany if you will, of the expression of my heart to know God.

But what does it mean to know God? This is something that believers talk about all the time. I'm sure you have heard people say, "I know God," and perhaps desired the same. Yet, their knowledge of God didn't line up with the lifestyle of others who say that they are Christians and know God too.

Let me share with you what I read from a commentary today. I believe it will add some clarity on what it means to "know God." J.A. Motyer writes, "We have largely lost the biblical dimensions of the word ‘knowledge’ in our customary use of it. We confine it almost to ‘the contents of the brain.’ The Bible would not resist this meaning, but neither would it accept it as a complete definition. First, it would add a practical dimension. Nothing is truly known unless it is being practiced in daily life, or in some way (according to its nature) allowed to control the conduct of the person concerned—‘to depart from evil is understanding’ ( Job  28:28 ). Secondly, in knowledge between persons, to ‘know’ is to enter into the deepest personal intimacy and contact. Thus the Bible does not say that ‘Adam knew Eve’ ( Gen.  4:1 ) because it is too shy to speak openly about sexual matters, but because this is what knowledge between persons is—deep, intimate union. Consequently, having been saved wholly and solely by Christ, Paul wants to enter into the deepest possible union with Him.” (Copied from Boyce Commentary on Philippians 3:10-11).

Three things from this commentary stuck out to me. First, knowledge of God is way more than just contents of the brain. Brain knowledge of God is so limited because it is molded, moved and motivated by facts. Second, the acid test of knowledge of who God is, was, is and forever will be reflected in one's daily actions and attitudes. If I say I know anything about anything, included God, it shows in my lifestyle. Finally, knowledge is deep, intimate contact. This is what I want with God. It is not limited to some daily Bible reading or casual prayer. No, it is the full scope of living a life that is an outworking of spending time with Him to find out what is pleasing to Him. Make sense?

My determined purpose is to know Him. I pray that your determined purpose is to know Him. As we spend time determined to know Him, I am confident that we will be known by Him. As we do this, He will teach us how to show we know Him by walking in obedience to His will, work and wisdom of His way! Until next time...

Prevailing in Him,

Dr. Sheila

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consider the Consequences

P - P.R.E.S.S.

Expect God To Do It