In Pursuit of Happiness


Now that I have your attention with the title,  do you find yourself in pursuit of being "happy?" As I was preparing to write this blog, I paused and thought about being, "in pursuit of happiness."

My thoughts took me to the web, the Word, the movie In Pursuit of Happyness and thoughts of others who say,  "I just want to be happy." I did a search for "happy" in the Bible and as I was reviewing the references, I saw that many scriptures correlated happiness with being connected with the Lord. I found this interesting and a direct antithesis to the world's view of happiness.

In fact, I realized that there is a great revelation of a difference between the world's view of happiness and God's view on happiness. The Bible says in Proverbs 3:13, "Happy is the man who finds  wisdom and the man who gains understanding." This one verse tells me that my happiness is connected with wisdom and since God is wisdom, in order for me to be happy I need to be connected with God. The world on the other hand has a very selfish view of happiness which is directly connected with circumstances. When things are going good, or going my way, I am happy. When they are not, I am not happy. Of the two views, connection to God for my happiness is much more stable than my connection to circumstances. God never changes. Circumstances are ever changing like the ebbing and flowing of an ocean's tide.

With that in mind, you see that you are now presented with a choice. Should I look to God as my source of happiness or my circumstances? The right choice is right before us, but many times, as believers we are frustrated, disillusioned and hard to get along with because we choose to look to circumstances, instead of God for happiness.

You will never find true and lasting happiness in marriage, money, material things, or anything else for that matter. I believe the reason that many women are disappointed in their husbands because they were looking for happiness in their man instead of the Man, the Lord Jesus Christ. People are disappointed with life because their money and material things have dissipated.

Please understand that, the pursuit of happiness can only be found in pursuit of the Lord and His kingdom will, word, work and wisdom of His way. So this year, instead of looking to people, places or things for happiness, seek the Lord. Seek and pursue what makes Him happy for He is the true source of all joy and happiness. If you do that, your pursuit will end with fulfillment in Him.

Until next time, may you be filled with the love, peace and blessing of the Lord.

Dr. Sheila

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Consider the Consequences

P - P.R.E.S.S.

Expect God To Do It